When we announced the join.app.net project, our yearly pricing was an attempt to validate that a critical mass of people would financially support the existence of a service like App.net. Our stated goal for hitting a “critical mass” was 10,000 paying members. Fortunately, the market has told us “yes”, and then some.
In the 12 weeks since join.app.net was announced, several important milestones have been reached:
- The App.net API has reached a level of completeness to enable this amazing amount of software development. As the apps mentioned below demonstrate, our API is now capable of supporting a robust user experience.
- There is a substantial breadth and depth of available App.net-compatible apps including:
- 10 App.net apps in the iOS app store, with several more expected to be entering the store soon.
- 3 App.net apps in Google Play for Android users
- 1 App.net app in the Windows Phone market.
- 4 App.net Mac desktop apps.
- A number of browser plugins for Chrome and Firefox.
- Several App.net-enabled web applications, search tools and more.
- The membership of App.net is just about to cross the 20,000 user level, which creates some economies of scale for us. Remember, the original pricing model assumed 10,000 users.
Because of this momentum and scale, we’ve decided to introduce a couple of updates to our pricing model.
First, we are introducing a $5/month Member plan. Some folks have been asking for a monthly plan since day one, and given all of the progress that has been made in the App.net ecosystem, we think now is a good time to introduce it.
Second, we are dropping the Member price from $50/year to $36/year. All existing members will get the benefits of the yearly price drop. Existing members will get additional months added to their plan so that they see the same pricing benefits that new yearly members get. If you are an existing member, you should have received an email from us explaining the extra time that has been added to your subscription.
This news, combined with our new Developer Incentive Program is all part of our commitment to enabling a successful, sustainable ecosystem. We fundamentally believe that 3rd-party developers will innovate faster, create better applications on more platforms, and make more users happy than any single company could. As the platform matures, and the community and app selection grows, we believe that the value and appeal of App.net can only increase. Remember: we are just getting started.