Update: we have since released V2 of the invite experiment that removes the credit card requirement. Learn more.
A question we have commonly heard in the App.net community is: “How can I buy a month of service to give to a friend?” We considered the mechanism by which an App.net user could purchase a month on behalf of someone else, and decided there might be an easier first step.
So, as of today, community members can invite their friends to a trial period of App.net in which the first month is free.
Here’s how it works:
- App.net members on a yearly plan have access to a small number of invitations.
- These invitations can be used by App.net members to invite specific friends they think would appreciate a one-month trial period of the service.
- The recipient of the invitation will be able to click through a link contained within an email and create an account.
- During the signup process, the invitee will be asked to enter credit card information and to select a plan that only takes effect once the trial has ended. The invitee will not be charged during the trial period, and can easily cancel their account at any point.
- When invitees sign up for an account after clicking on an invite, they will automatically follow the person that invited them, and vice versa.
If you are an App.net user on a yearly plan, click here to see how many invites are currently available to you.
As a company, we have methodically experimented with changes to the account creation process. For example, our price drop, the introduction of a monthly plan, as well as developer test accounts. This trend will certainly continue.
In this specific case, we’ve intentionally released only a limited number of invites, and we’ll track the program’s performance closely. If successful – that is, if these invitations have a positive effect on the community – then we’ll plan on expanding it.
As always, we want your feedback. Please send comments to @ADN.