You may have heard: iOS 7 is available now. We’re excited about it, its possibilities, and what it means for the App.net platform.
Many iOS developers have been busy updating, refreshing, and generally optimizing their apps for iOS 7. New versions of Felix, Riposte, and Whisper are available now. We also are excited to see updates to Orbit for iOS, Sprinter, and fileZ– not to mention (literally) a few more apps that we can’t talk about publicly just yet.
Today, you can install the biggest update yet to Felix for iPhone and iPad, designed by @billkunz – that is, if you have iOS 7 already.
“I’m especially excited about this release because it was a perfect opportunity to shed some old things that were tying my hands regarding new features,” he said. “I’ve been looking forward to this for months! Not only is the UI iOS 7-friendly (and much much crisper) but I’ve made Felix configurable to include only the aspects of App.net that you’re interested in.”
In other words, if you just want to do private messages, you can customize Felix to just show that.
Some of the new Felix features include:
- Always in fullscreen mode
- The puck can be set to an always-open position
- Patter rooms are now split off from private messages and tapping urls in Patter rooms takes you directly to that room
Similarly, @jaredsinclair and @jaminguy released a new version of Riposte (free and pro), designed exclusively for iOS 7 — in fact you need iOS 7 for the update.
There are a host of new features for PRO users, but some general Riposte updates include:
- Posts flip in a new way when you tap them — that is, more fun
- Timeline updates in the background in response to push notifications
- Support for increased length of private messages
- Better display for @mentions, #hashstags, and links
- Two new font sizes
@jaredsinclair and @jaminguy also make Whisper, a group messaging app for the iPhone. There’s a new version of Whisper available today too (iOS 7 required to update).
Like with Riposte, there are a host of new Whisper PRO features, but some of the general updates include:
- Lots of new stickers
- Messages are now sent asynchronsly so that they appear immediately in the messages view with a “Sending..,” status
- Added support for 2048-character private messages
- Emails and phone numbers are now tappable in profiles and messages
- New in-app tutorial for first-time users